Saturday 9 November 2013

Cooking Diaries: Shepherd's pie for the student on a budget


Image by cyclonebill

Hello! Baawo! Ndewo! Hola! Aloha! Salut! Shalom! Guten tag!
Its been a minute hasn't it? I recently got some feedback from a friend who enjoyed the blog post on Spagetti Bolognese and promised to try it(I'll definitely hold him to that promise). That positive feedback gave me the courage to try out another recipe and share it on the blog. This time, it was the British/Irish staple, Shepherd's pie. Initially I was bit sceptical, because of the idea of baking mashed potatoes(I didn't think I'd find baked potatoes delicious) but I turned out great! Here's how I made mine, starting with the ingredients used(Recipe for 4 portions):

450g beef mince
1 onion, chopped
150g mushrooms
200g salad mix or
100g carrots(chopped) and 100g peas(cooked)
4 tablespoons tomato ketchup
Salt
Pepper
4/5 large potatoes

The Process?


- First, fry off the mince in a pan then add all other ingredients and place in an oven-proof dish.






grease the oven proof dish with butter

- Peel the potatoes and dice them.





- Cook the diced potatoes in salted boiling water for 20 minutes and mash them up with a little butter and skimmed milk.






- Place the mashed potatoes on top of the cooked mince.





- Bake at 180 degrees Fahrenheit for approx 30-35 minutes until lightly browned on top and around the edges.

garnished with a dollop of mayonnaise

You can serve with other vegetables of your choice, probably a vegetable salad? I loved eating it just as is but if you feel like having an accompaniment, it might as well be something healthy like vegetable salad. Enjoy!


SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Definitely trying this out and sharing pictures with you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! Shepard's pie is an acquired taste however I think everyone should try it at least once.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave a comment below, I would love to hear from you!

© T. FOR TOPE. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig