Monday 14 December 2015

The Art of Wolof/Jollof by Folakunle Oshun: Part 1



An unique exhibition named "Wolof Jollof" by Nigerian sculptor Folakunle Oshun opened at the National museum Onikan, Lagos on Sunday, 6th December. The solo exhibition curated by Ines Valle, was an outdoor food & art (or food as art perhaps?) installation which explored the origin and migratory narrative of Jollof from its birth place in the Jollof Empire (of the Wolof People), Senegambia to its multi, numerous adaptations in different West-African countries.


National Museum Onikan, Lagos



Introductory text by Ines Valle




According to the curator, the blue coloured cooking pots represent the "united nations of Jollof". I looked forward to my second visit in which I further explored the installation in detail.

Intellectual curiosity aside, I was particularly interested in tasting different Jollof cuisines from the various West-African countries as a friend had informed me that live cooking and tastings would be done as part of the installation. As expected, my reaction was:


Imagine everyone's surprise when we discovered that the jollof tasting would be the following Sunday 13, December 2015.



Thankfully, the ticket was valid throughout the duration of the exhibition. On a bright note, we were informed that the cooking would be done by popular food blogger/chef Ozoz of Kitchen Butterfly so I expected some stellar cooking.

Colonisation, migration, self-discovery, youth, cultural and personal identity were themes I discovered during my first visit to the exhibition. I looked forward to more explorations (and delicious tastings) for my next visit which would be discussed in the second part of this series. (P.S. I shared some of the amazing moments at the tasting on my snapchat: tfortope)

The exhibition ends 31, December 2015. Tickets to the exhibition can be purchased either at the venue or online at eventbrite.

I wonder; what themes will you discover?

Correction: December 21, 2015
An earlier version of this post misstated the description of the blue pots as representing the fifteen west African ECOWAS states with a barrier created with sacks of rice illustrating how this unique dish, created as a result of colonisation, has become a unifying theme around the region. The correction description is "The united nations of Jollof".

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave a comment below, I would love to hear from you!

© T. FOR TOPE. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig